6 Ways to Help Your Aging Neighbors – After fourteen long months, we’re finally venturing further from our homes. Yet, for many within our communities, spending the last year mostly in solitude is creating new challenges. While good neighbors have always offered a helping hand to aging neighbors, the necessity to help could even be greater now.
From simple tasks to tech-savvy skills, a helping hand is greatly appreciated by older neighbors struggling to adapt to unfamiliar practices or policies. Younger residents can also use their knowledge and abilities to do good in the community.
Here are 6 ways to help your aging neighbors ease their worries and stress in these continually changing times:
- Run Errands. Heading to the store? Offer to pick up a few necessities, especially if they’re still concerned about large public crowds.
- Tech Support. As businesses continue to incorporate virtual and digital components to meet various mandates and protocols, some may find connecting with family or placing orders online challenging. Help setting up programs or apps can ease stress and confusion.
- Yardwork. After months of reduced activity, seasonal change yardwork may be strenuous. Mowing the lawn, raking leaves, or pulling weeds is often welcomed help.
- Share a plate. Not only is sharing a meal or dessert an act of generosity, it’s also much appreciated by those typically cooking for one or two people.
- Minor repairs. Notice their porch light is out or a window screen ripped? Offer to spend a few minutes of your time fixing it for them.
- Conversation. Whether across the table or over the fence, conversation and checking in with neighbors go a long way for improving positivity. Even better, make it a daily or weekly recurring “event” to catch up and share stories.
Community Care of the Northeast offers home care to aging or disabled residents to safely stay in their own homes.
There’s no greater gesture than taking a few moments of your time to make someone’s day simpler or happier. Understandably, there are times when others require more assistance or help than we feel qualified or able to give. We at Community Care, with our certified staff and trained volunteers, are prepared to step in during those times when it’s safer for you to step back. We’re here for appointment transports, medical check-ins, and homecare.
Community Care of the Northeast cares for your loved ones as an extension of our own family. Our variety of services provides personalized care for their comfort and your peace of mind. Let our 30+ years of compassionate care ease your worry, and help you relax, knowing that while your loved ones and neighbors aren’t always in your hands, they’re always with family.
Reach out today for assistance.
Find out how Community Care of the Northeast can help you and your loved ones. Visit us at https://www.communitycarenephila.org/contact-us/ or call 215-335-4416.
Connect with us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/communitycarenortheast